Classroom Guitar Forum

Author   Comment  
robsulkowtgw

Reply with quote  #1 
I just got some money in my budget. Should I buy classics or steel string guitars? What else should I buy? 

TGW Forum Yellow Belt
Reply with quote  #2 
Classic AKA Nylon-String Guitars are best for classroom use. In a perfect world you would have not only nylon but steel-string and electric guitars as well. It's great to have the proper instrument for every style you would teach in the classroom. That being said if you had to buy one type of instrument my recommendation would be nylon-string guitars.  
Glen McCarthy

TGW Forum Yellow Belt
Reply with quote  #3 
So you have guitars, what else do you need?

1. A set of method books that are appropriate for your class (elementary, middle, high). There are methods written specifically for young vs. older students.

2. Picks. I recommend medium (thickness) for beginners. You can start with fingers (thumb, index, middle, ring) to strum/pluck but your students will like the variety of using picks.  

3. Capos. If you are planning to play contemporary music in class you will need a capo to play many songs accurately. 
robsulkowtgw

Reply with quote  #4 
Check out the demystifying picks article on guitaredunet.org - http://www.guitaredunet.org/4-factors-to-demystify-picks/

TGW Forum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
On the advice of a colleague I had originally ordered a class set of Fender steel string acoustics for my new guitar program. He had them in his classroom and his reasoning was that steel string guitars are what the students really want to play. But I'm really glad the guys at the Carlsbad workshop convinced me to buy nylon string guitars instead. A few frantic phone calls to the finance people at my district got the order changed. With nylon string guitars you get more guitar for the money, they stay in tune better, they're softer on the fingers, the strings last longer, the wider necks are easier for beginners to play, and the best part of all is they are much easier on my ears. I got Yamaha C40s and they're just about perfect for my purposes.

Whenever I hear my whole class banging away on something, I can't help but feel sorry for my colleague, as I imagine him slowly going deaf in his classroom. You get to a certain age and the cumulative dB spl starts to take a toll.
robsulkowtgw

Reply with quote  #6 
Nylon will definitely be easier on little fingers....and the ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
On the advice of a colleague I had originally ordered a class set of Fender steel string acoustics for my new guitar program. He had them in his classroom and his reasoning was that steel string guitars are what the students really want to play. But I'm really glad the guys at the Carlsbad workshop convinced me to buy nylon string guitars instead. A few frantic phone calls to the finance people at my district got the order changed. With nylon string guitars you get more guitar for the money, they stay in tune better, they're softer on the fingers, the strings last longer, the wider necks are easier for beginners to play, and the best part of all is they are much easier on my ears. I got Yamaha C40s and they're just about perfect for my purposes.

Whenever I hear my whole class banging away on something, I can't help but feel sorry for my colleague, as I imagine him slowly going deaf in his classroom. You get to a certain age and the cumulative dB spl starts to take a toll.

TGW Forum Yellow Belt
Reply with quote  #7 
I have steel strings and I wouldn't go back if I could.  I understand that nylon's are easier on the fingers and I get a fair amount of complaining when students start.  The sound of the acoustics though when they are played correctly are just awesome.  Loud, yes...but that's the way we like it.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.