Classroom Guitar Forum

Author   Comment  
robsulkowtgw

Reply with quote  #1 
Your week at TGW was awesome, but it was like a whirlwind. What three topics would you like to review?

TGW Forum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I had levels I and 2 in Pittsburgh PA and they were wonderful.  It was challenging but very do-able for all.  I feel that a complete beginner could gather enough information that they could continue to learn on their own.

red6uitar

TGW Forum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
I had Level 1 @ Bryan Station Lexington KY. For me personally I felt it was too slow (except for sight reading) However, I think for the class it was a good pace. There were a lot of musicians who were learning guitar as a new instrument. They needed the time. I had a ot of fun and was able to learn some tips on how to teach a class.
CherylTheSinger

TGW Forum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I had level 1 in Pittsburgh about 3 years ago after not having a methods class or touching my guitar since 1980something.  I had wanted this for years!  and it turned out better than I imagined.

I couldn't do everything well, but I managed to get through it.  I teach guitar now in my general music classes to every student in grades 5, 6 and 7.

I want to take level ii soon, but am a bit afraid of barre chords.  I will as soon as I can afford it!

I developed a bass guitar and string bass habit due to my experience in level 1 trying a bass guitar.  I am tiny with tiny hands and didn't think I could play.  Now I take lessons on both each week and lead many of my classes, (prek-12 general and vocal music, recorders, and guitars) on my electric or upright bass.  I also sit in with high school band during my lunch a few days a week.  I also joined a community orchestra. I have played and directed chorus concerts on bass and love it.  Now I just have to get myself to work on those chords on an actual guitar!
Corey Blaker

TGW Forum Member
Reply with quote  #5 
I took Level 1 in San Diego last year. My friend had recommended the workshop for years. 

I had been teaching a class for 10 years, but as a trombone player, I approached guitar mostly as a melody instrument. I could play basic chords.

The class moved at a good pace, until we hit finger style playing. So, that's been my personal practice area so that I can feel more comfortable at next year's workshop.
robsulkowtgw

Reply with quote  #6 
Check out this video series about barre chords by Rob Pethel. I have been playing for 25 years and his ideas changed the way I play barre chords. 
http://www.guitaredunet.org/building-barre-chords/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylTheSinger
I had level 1 in Pittsburgh about 3 years ago after not having a methods class or touching my guitar since 1980something.  I had wanted this for years!  and it turned out better than I imagined.

I couldn't do everything well, but I managed to get through it.  I teach guitar now in my general music classes to every student in grades 5, 6 and 7.

I want to take level ii soon, but am a bit afraid of barre chords.  I will as soon as I can afford it!

I developed a bass guitar and string bass habit due to my experience in level 1 trying a bass guitar.  I am tiny with tiny hands and didn't think I could play.  Now I take lessons on both each week and lead many of my classes, (prek-12 general and vocal music, recorders, and guitars) on my electric or upright bass.  I also sit in with high school band during my lunch a few days a week.  I also joined a community orchestra. I have played and directed chorus concerts on bass and love it.  Now I just have to get myself to work on those chords on an actual guitar!

Reply with quote  #7 
Did we not cover it thoroughly or was it just a difficult part of the course?
Check out the way Shelley teaches fingerpicking warm ups - http://www.guitaredunet.org/workshop-refresher-warm-ups/

We should have more videos from Shelley soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Blaker
I took Level 1 in San Diego last year. My friend had recommended the workshop for years. 

I had been teaching a class for 10 years, but as a trombone player, I approached guitar mostly as a melody instrument. I could play basic chords.

The class moved at a good pace, until we hit finger style playing. So, that's been my personal practice area so that I can feel more comfortable at next year's workshop.

Reply with quote  #8 
We may add some criteria that help people bypass Level I if they have been teaching guitar for a while and they are competent players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red6uitar
I had Level 1 @ Bryan Station Lexington KY. For me personally I felt it was too slow (except for sight reading) However, I think for the class it was a good pace. There were a lot of musicians who were learning guitar as a new instrument. They needed the time. I had a ot of fun and was able to learn some tips on how to teach a class.

TGW Forum Member
Reply with quote  #9 
It was my first attempt at using finger style techniques, so it did move a little fast for me. That being said, I have begun using PIMA techniques in class warm-ups to introduce the technique to my beginning students. If I can get enough students for a 2nd year guitar class, I'll use songs that use finger style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsulkowtgw
Check out the way Shelley teaches fingerpicking warm ups - http://www.guitaredunet.org/workshop-refresher-warm-ups/

Quote:

robsulkowtgw

Reply with quote  #10 
These are tough skills to grasp with just 5 days of training - especially PIMA finger-picking. That's awesome that you are integrating it into the class! What kinds of warm ups are you doing? Anything we can share?

Quote:
It was my first attempt at using finger style techniques, so it did move a little fast for me. That being said, I have begun using PIMA techniques in class warm-ups to introduce the technique to my beginning students. If I can get enough students for a 2nd year guitar class, I'll use songs that use finger style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsulkowtgw

Quote:

TGW Forum Member
Reply with quote  #11 
I took level one in Wichita last summer. I really liked it, and it has given me a wealth of information and materials to use with my beginning guitar class which is a year-long class for high school students. I was in a class with a wide variety of experience.  I know I was on the low end of the talent/experience spectrum, so I felt a bit overwhelmed on the last 1-1/2 days of the class. I'm worried I could not keep up with a level 2 class. My own students in my level 1 class, begged for a level 2 class next year. So I am tacking that on to my teaching schedule in August. This band director better spend lots of time practicing too!  

I think if you had enough interest, the two courses offered to teachers could be split into 3 classes.
Class 1:  For teachers with no experience on guitar, or very little experience (that would be me)
Class 2:  For teachers who can play chord progressions, cover melodies in first position. May have a little bit of experience with pima and barre chords. Their guitar background already gives them the ability to teach level 1 guitar, and they are looking to get more skills that make them capable to teach at a higher level. 
Class 3:  For teachers that already play pretty good, and have the technique and experience on guitar. These teachers are looking for ways to enhance their curriculum. They already know how to do pima, barre chords, and have pretty good technique.

robsulkowtgw

Reply with quote  #12 
Cool idea. We have things structured the same as last year for 2015, but maybe we can poll the people who sign up to see where they are with their guitar skills. We definitely need to pay attention to where you all are! In the meantime, play guitar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgerdes
I took level one in Wichita last summer. I really liked it, and it has given me a wealth of information and materials to use with my beginning guitar class which is a year-long class for high school students. I was in a class with a wide variety of experience.  I know I was on the low end of the talent/experience spectrum, so I felt a bit overwhelmed on the last 1-1/2 days of the class. I'm worried I could not keep up with a level 2 class. My own students in my level 1 class, begged for a level 2 class next year. So I am tacking that on to my teaching schedule in August. This band director better spend lots of time practicing too!  

I think if you had enough interest, the two courses offered to teachers could be split into 3 classes.
Class 1:  For teachers with no experience on guitar, or very little experience (that would be me)
Class 2:  For teachers who can play chord progressions, cover melodies in first position. May have a little bit of experience with pima and barre chords. Their guitar background already gives them the ability to teach level 1 guitar, and they are looking to get more skills that make them capable to teach at a higher level. 
Class 3:  For teachers that already play pretty good, and have the technique and experience on guitar. These teachers are looking for ways to enhance their curriculum. They already know how to do pima, barre chords, and have pretty good technique.

Print

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.