Classroom Guitar Forum

Author   Comment  
robsulkowtgw

Reply with quote  #1 
There are a couple of guitar heroes who cannot stop noodling. Are you in the same boat? Please help if you have suggestions.

TGW Forum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
I have taught guitar for 9 years, and this is the first where noodling (I have always called it doodling) hasn't been an issue.  The difference?  I purchased folding guitar stands that students get when they get their guitars, foot stools and music stands.  I have them put their guitars down any time I am giving instructions, and it is a "time out" for theirs guitar if they start doodling.  It only took a couple of instances of guitars in time out and I haven't had a problem since October.  

robsulkowtgw

Reply with quote  #3 
Very cool! I like how you shifted the time out away from the kid and onto the guitar. Very simple solution to a problem that plagues guitar teachers [smile]

Quote:
Originally Posted by James
I have taught guitar for 9 years, and this is the first where noodling (I have always called it doodling) hasn't been an issue.  The difference?  I purchased folding guitar stands that students get when they get their guitars, foot stools and music stands.  I have them put their guitars down any time I am giving instructions, and it is a "time out" for theirs guitar if they start doodling.  It only took a couple of instances of guitars in time out and I haven't had a problem since October.  

TGW Forum Yellow Belt
Reply with quote  #4 
I read somewhere this summer (I think it was a TGW post or comment) that someone just said the word "HANDS" and when they did their students all would put their hands on the upper portion of the guitar and be quiet.

I tried it and am really like it!  It's one word.  That's the best part.  Doesn't take but half a second to say it.  If it doesn't work right away...I'll say it again.  My students are getting trained that when I says "hands" it's quiet as quickly as possible.  It's worked better for me than any other thing I've tried so far.  If I have extended instructions to give...I'll put them in full resting position (strings flat on their lap)....but "hands" is now my go-to.

Whomever shared this technique, THANK YOU! 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.