Classroom Guitar Forum

Author   Comment  
CherylTheSinger

TGW Forum Member
Reply with quote  #1 
I have heard a lot that the G string typically breaks, however; on my classroom guitars it is mostly the low E and A strings. They tend to fray at the top just below where they are wound and pop at that point.  Sometimes this happens even after a few weeks. At first I just thought the strings were older, but it happened to seven guitars within a few weeks of changing them this year.

I use Martin nylon strings on ten Lucia 3/4 classical guitars (they don't tend to break as much) and the same strings on ten Johnson full sized acoustic guitars. 

Could I possibly be doing something to cause this when I restring?
Glen McCarthy

TGW Forum Yellow Belt
Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylTheSinger
I have heard a lot that the G string typically breaks, however; on my classroom guitars it is mostly the low E and A strings. They tend to fray at the top just below where they are wound and pop at that point.  Sometimes this happens even after a few weeks. At first I just thought the strings were older, but it happened to seven guitars within a few weeks of changing them this year.

I use Martin nylon strings on ten Lucia 3/4 classical guitars (they don't tend to break as much) and the same strings on ten Johnson full sized acoustic guitars. 

Could I possibly be doing something to cause this when I restring?
Glen McCarthy

TGW Forum Yellow Belt
Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Cheryl, Here's a couple links about changing strings: 

http://www.daddario.com/DADMediaLibrary.Page?MediaId=31&sid=6fff6adc-254e-4805-986d-01600c7389eb

If you have a chance I would go to your local store and change strings in a store with a guitar person watching. They could possibly give you some "hands on" tips.

Another thought is the nut and/or the saddle may need to be adjusted.
CherylTheSinger

TGW Forum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Perhaps. The classical guitars don't break as much as the acoustic. This is a group of 20 guitars.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.