Classroom Guitar Forum

Author   Comment  
robsulkowtgw

Reply with quote  #1 
What books are you using for your guitar class? Which ones are the best?

TGW Forum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
FJY Young Beginner Series as well as their standard method. Hal Leonard Tab Method. The occasional old school Mel Bay and supplemental materials from Hal Leonard!
Glen McCarthy

TGW Forum Yellow Belt
Reply with quote  #3 
I will answer this question with a question. What grade are you teaching? What style (finger-style or pick-style) do you want to teach? 
There are a number of great methods.
For elementary school I would recommend the FJH Young Beginner series and the Guitar for Kids Method and Songbook published by Hal Leonard.
For middle school Essential Elements published by Hal Leonard and the FJH Everybody's Guitar Method are great.
For High School, Class Guitar Resources Hands On Training Guitar Method One is a great resource. 
CherylTheSinger

TGW Forum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
I use Hal Leonard's Guitar for Kids in my 5th grade once a week general music class, and both the Guitar for Kids and Essential Elements in my 6th grade daily semester long class.  The 7th grade did well with those too, but my district cut music for 7th grade and made the student choose between phys ed, chorus or band for their electives.  We don't get past the G string, but for the least three years they seem motivated to learn chords AND notes.  To teach tab, I have some staff paper with chord charts, treble cleff and tab written together.  The students add the tab and chords to the notes written above. I add songs that we do in our general music books and pop songs as well. Last semester we added, "Frosty the Snowman" for notes and "Silent Night" on chords in 6th grade.  We can't only do guitar, as I have to cover it all, but they manage to get some basic skills.  Many students keep going, but we are not able to offer any guitar classes past 6th grade general music with the time and schedule.  We are a preK to 12 district with only 375 students enrolled in the entire district.  Most teachers have crazy schedules like, combos of4-12 band and 7-11 math, or grade 2 classroom teacher and grade 8-12 math, etc.  If a child wants to find time to work with me in an older grade, I just make time.
robsulkowtgw

Reply with quote  #5 
Sorry to hear about the program cuts! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylTheSinger
I use Hal Leonard's Guitar for Kids in my 5th grade once a week general music class, and both the Guitar for Kids and Essential Elements in my 6th grade daily semester long class.  The 7th grade did well with those too, but my district cut music for 7th grade and made the student choose between phys ed, chorus or band for their electives.  We don't get past the G string, but for the least three years they seem motivated to learn chords AND notes.  To teach tab, I have some staff paper with chord charts, treble cleff and tab written together.  The students add the tab and chords to the notes written above. I add songs that we do in our general music books and pop songs as well. Last semester we added, "Frosty the Snowman" for notes and "Silent Night" on chords in 6th grade.  We can't only do guitar, as I have to cover it all, but they manage to get some basic skills.  Many students keep going, but we are not able to offer any guitar classes past 6th grade general music with the time and schedule.  We are a preK to 12 district with only 375 students enrolled in the entire district.  Most teachers have crazy schedules like, combos of4-12 band and 7-11 math, or grade 2 classroom teacher and grade 8-12 math, etc.  If a child wants to find time to work with me in an older grade, I just make time.

Print

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.