Classroom Guitar Forum

Author   Comment  
robsulkowtgw

Reply with quote  #1 
What piece(s) are you playing in class? Did you do the arrangement yourself or get it from a book/online/etc.?

TGW Forum Member
Reply with quote  #2 
Currently I'm teaching The Hanging Tree from the new Hunger Games movie. High school kids love it. No arrangement, just strumming along with the recording.
Deborah

TGW Forum Member
Reply with quote  #3 
Beginners are playing "Smooth" by Santana to learn open bass notes - key of A - so open A, D, E. Strumming "Fantasy" (Mariah Carey) with G and Em7 so just picking up on the Second finger G to make it an Em7 chord. Reading "Night Ride" from Austin Classical Guitar Society's curriculum.
Advanced are playing "Minuet" K2 by Mozart,, "All I Have to Do is Dream" from Essential Elements.
Corey Blaker

TGW Forum Member
Reply with quote  #4 
Tom Petty's "Runnin' Down a Dream" - E, D, A, G and C, plus a fun lick on the 6th string.
robsulkowtgw

Reply with quote  #5 
Love it! That's the way so many guitarists start on their life-long passion for guitar - strumming along. Using a popular movie song is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
Currently I'm teaching The Hanging Tree from the new Hunger Games movie. High school kids love it. No arrangement, just strumming along with the recording.

Reply with quote  #6 
Sounds like a great class and a really cool one at that! How do you like the ACGS materials?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah
Beginners are playing "Smooth" by Santana to learn open bass notes - key of A - so open A, D, E. Strumming "Fantasy" (Mariah Carey) with G and Em7 so just picking up on the Second finger G to make it an Em7 chord. Reading "Night Ride" from Austin Classical Guitar Society's curriculum. Advanced are playing "Minuet" K2 by Mozart,, "All I Have to Do is Dream" from Essential Elements.

Reply with quote  #7 
That is a great lick. Do you have any electrics in your room? You're gonna need that fuzz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Blaker
Tom Petty's "Runnin' Down a Dream" - E, D, A, G and C, plus a fun lick on the 6th string.

TGW Forum Member
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsulkowtgw
Sounds like a great class and a really cool one at that! How do you like the ACGS materials?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah
Beginners are playing "Smooth" by Santana to learn open bass notes - key of A - so open A, D, E. Strumming "Fantasy" (Mariah Carey) with G and Em7 so just picking up on the Second finger G to make it an Em7 chord. Reading "Night Ride" from Austin Classical Guitar Society's curriculum. Advanced are playing "Minuet" K2 by Mozart,, "All I Have to Do is Dream" from Essential Elements.

Rob, I like the ensemble pieces. Travis and Matt write and arrange some very playable/musical pieces. I include them along with pop songs, a little theory, and a little bass. We have fun.
mattgerry

TGW Forum Yellow Belt
Reply with quote  #9 
A new tune we're doing is "Thinking Out Loud" by Ed Sheeran.  I've never seen my students so excited about a song.  It's a really solid tune!  There is also a very learn-able solo at the end.

We're learning the bass to the tune ....then the chords (minus the Bm ...substituting an Em until we get there).
Capture.PNG 

Glen McCarthy

TGW Forum Yellow Belt
Reply with quote  #10 
Matt you are so right; my students love playing "Thinking Out Loud". Just for grins my students also play it in C: C C/E F G etc. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.